Sunday, December 6, 2015

leftover remix: ham eggs benedict!



Thankfully, our ham this year was considerably smaller than last year's, so that made ham leftovers manageable. Last year, we had to throw out about a third of the ham before it went bad. Besides sandwiches and snack meat, I had a hard time finding ways to use up one of our thanksgiving favorites.

Surprisingly, I found out that we didn't really eat ham outside of the sandwich realm. We went through the turkey a whole lot faster than we did the ham! So, to reduce the inevitable waste we were going to have with a twenty pound ham (for TWO people!!), I got creative with adding it into soups, casseroles, pasta, sides, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When all was said and done, we threw away about a third of the ham.

With all that experimenting, I forgot to make something that should have been a no-brainer for breakfast: eggs benedict! So this year, I made sure to whip up my favorite breakfast and make it a little fancy. For this thanksgiving remix, I topped english muffins with a generous schmearing of smokey chipotle mustard, a couple slices of farm fresh tomatoes, some creamy avocado, a few pieces of ham, a couple of perfectly poached eggs, and topped it off with my favorite mock hollandaise sauce.

Best. Breakfast. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment