Friday, April 17, 2015

to make a mockery.



Sometimes I like making breakfast just for me. I get to experiment with "weird" food more freely and test things out before introducing it to the hubbs. Take this recipe, for example... this would definitely fall under the "weird" food category for the hubby. Would I make it for him? Eh... maybe.

I didn't have any grape tomatoes in the house, so I decided that I would make a play on eggs benedict. I loooove me some eggs benedict. But since I was feeling slightly lazy, I just scrambled the eggs and made a batch of my favorite mock hollandaise; my go-to recipe ever since I found it on the web.

What I really like about the mock hollandaise is how easy it is. Basically, it's a lemon gravy with the flavor notes of hollandaise. Make a roux, add some milk, then season with lemon and cayenne. Best part? It isn't as fatty and rich as a real hollandaise. :)

I've made this sauce quite a few times already. While the original recipe calls for food coloring, I find that turmeric or ground mustard works just as well. I dunno...adding food coloring to sauces just seem wrong. And why add something that's tasteless when you can add a little depth with additional spice?

Well... kind of.

The 1/4 tsp of mustard or turmeric isn't really that discernible... Here, I use it more for color than for anything else. Occasionally, I'll squirt some Dijon in for taste just to change things up a bit. That, or add chives to the sauce. Overall, this hollandaise is a great recipe to have in your repertoire. Hell, I know I'm glad to have it! Makes life that much more easy, no? ^_^

---- o o o o ----
 

Mock Hollandaise Sauce
(barely adapted from Kitchen Project)

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup cream, half and half, or milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
1 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp ground mustard or 1/4 tsp turmeric
ground white pepper

Melt the butter on medium heat in a 1 quart non-aluminum saucepan. Add the flour, stir and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps, and cook till thickened. Add the salt, lemon juice, cayenne, and ground mustard or turmeric. Season with additional salt and ground white pepper to taste.

*This can be made a few days ahead of time and reheated

---- o o o o ----
 

Savory Sourdough Parmesan French Toast
(from Knead For Food)

4 slices 1/2″ thick stale sourdough bread
4 eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper

Whisk all of the ingredients together for the French toast, except the bread. Get a casserole dish large enough for all four slices and pour in half the egg mixture. Place the slices in the casserole and let sit for a few moments. Pour the remainder of the mixture over the bread. Every 3–5 minutes, flip the bread slices around. This will take about 20 minutes for the bread to absorb as much as it can.

Heat a griddle over medium low heat. Butter the griddle and fry the bread two slices at a time. This will take about 3-4 minutes per side. Top with eggs, tomatoes, breakfast meat, or any other savory topping as desired. Serve with a generous drizzle of hollandaise sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment