Tuesday, March 17, 2015

taste it and make it: chicken salad!



Back in 2003, I used to work for Boudin Bakery at the downtown mall back in San Diego. I spent a whopping four years there making salads, sandwiches, and realizing that sourdough wasn't so icky after all. It was also there that I found my love of making all things sandwiches.

Of all the sandwiches that I used to make at my time there, there were two kinds that I really, really loved: their tuna sandwich and their chicken walnut. When I left, and years passed, I've developed my own tuna recipe that was based off Boudin's. Their chicken salad, however, was something that I miss and would never change.

Well...unfortunately, when I went to Boudin the last time and ordered their fabulous chicken salad sandwich, I found that they had changed the recipe. Gone were the walnuts and the cranberries that used to dot the salad. And where was the walnut bread that they used to serve the sandwich on?? This was NOT the sandwich that I loved!

So I've been thinking about the recipe for a while now...and trying to remember exactly what went into the salad. Pre-cooked grilled chicken definitely went in it, as well as Dijon mustard. Granny smith apples, cranberries, and toasted walnuts were also in the mix. Today, I decided to finally sit down and try to re-create the recipe from all those years ago. The result? Exactly like I remembered and a kick-ass copy cat, if I do say so myself.

Ladies and gentlemen, here's Boudin's old-school chicken walnut salad...

---- o o o o ----
 

Chicken Walnut Salad
(adapted from Boudin Bakery)

2 to 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed (I usually use this or a couple packages of this)
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
1 granny smith apple, chopped
1.5 to 2 cups (about 4 ribs) celery, diced small
1 cup dried cranberries
1 small red onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
3/4 cup or so mayonnaise
kosher salt
coarse ground pepper

Combine chicken with walnuts. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl except for the mayo. Slowly add mayo until desired consistency is reached, adding additional mayo if needed and seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Let chill for 30 minutes before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

If using homemade mayonnaise, this will keep for three days. If using store bought, chicken salad will keep for up to a week.

Serving suggestions: Serve on sourdough or walnut bread with romaine lettuce as a sandwich or on spring lettuce/romaine mix with additional dried cranberries and candied walnuts with a side of walnut bread as a salad.

3 comments:

  1. great recipe, my mother loves the chicken salad from boudin, this is probably much better - think i'll make it for her. do you think you could you post your tuna salad recipe that you mentioned in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Thank you so much for your comment! As for the tuna salad, here's the link: Herbed Tuna Salad. :)

    ReplyDelete