Thursday, March 19, 2015

meat.



I'm not a big red meat eater. Most of the stuff that I make tend to be poultry based. For me, whenever I eat red meat, I end up feeling heavy afterwards. The hubby, however, is definitely a meat eater.

When I went grocery shopping last week, I had picked up a steak for him but had no idea what to do with it. A quick search on pinterest resulted in this recipe that didn't seem too hard to make. And as an added bonus, I had everything that was called for. So, I went ahead and made it. If I do make this again, I think I would do the pan juices as suggested as my steak came out a little dry. Well...I also can't cook steak so there's that too. Practice, practice, practice!!

---- o o o o ----
 

Flank Steak Stuffed with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Goat Cheese, and Basil
(from Elly Says Opa!)

10 oz. (ish) flank steak
2 oz. goat cheese, brought to room temperature to soften
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
3 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Optional pan sauce:
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp. white wine

 
Preheat the oven to 400.

Butterfly the flank steak, and then pound is to flatten it slightly. Sprinkle both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.

In a bowl, combine the softened goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, basil, a few grinds of pepper. Spread the mixture on top of the flank steak, and then roll it up to form a log. Secure the steak with kitchen twine or toothpicks.

Heat a large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the flank steak and brown it on all sides. Place the flank steak in the oven to finish cooking to your desired level of doneness (about 12 minutes for me). Place the steak under a foil tent to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.


If you want to make a pan sauce, put the same pan you cooked the steak in over medium heat on your stovetop. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping up all the browned bits (and, whatever you do, don’t touch the handle without an oven mitt). Reduce the sauce slightly and then season to taste with salt and pepper if necessary. Strain and serve over the flank steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment