Thursday, December 31, 2015

leftover remix: garden ham quiche!



Happy New Years's Eve!

I can't believe that 2016 is almost here. Just a few short hours and we'll be welcoming another year! But with that being said, I do find it unbelievable that my nearest grocery store is already stocked for Valentine's Day. It's crazy . . . their New Years section was almost nonexistent. What is the world coming to?!

In my house, we're actually still going through Christmas leftovers. Since we cooked a lot for our Christmas feast, it stands to reason that we've been surviving on leftovers for the last few days. The game hens turned into our usual enchiladas, but the ham still has a ways to go.


What to do? Well, since it's around breakfast time, I figured that I would make something appropriate for this meal time. After googling "leftover ham ideas", a few recipe staples came up, including quiche. After changing my search to "ham quiche", I stumbled on this recipe that not only utilized ham, but a bunch of different other ingredients too. Well with the word "garden" in it, I couldn't possibly resist making this recipe!

What I really liked about this recipe was the fact that it was fairly easy to whip up. Plus, it had a good amount of vegetables and I didn't have to worry about making a crust. Again, super quick and easy and has a lot of room for add-in and changes. For my quiche, I added some sun-dried tomatoes for a little tartness and decreased the cheese to about half a cup (because I ran out, lol). I also used fat-free half ad half since I didn't have any milk. For the batter, I added parsley, some garlic powder, and a touch of paprika since I usually season my eggs that way.

I was so happy with how this turned out! The quiche itself had a pleasant density to it, probably due to the Bisquick. Flavor-wise, it was a good balance of ham versus veggie. The little bit of sun-dried tomatoes that dotted throughout the quiche gave it that tart and tangy tomato flavor every other bite. Although I had baked it a tad too long, the hubby even had seconds! That was a nice surprise, since he's not all that into quiches.

What a wonderful addition to the leftover remix rotation! This is a definite winner in my book!

---- o o o o ----
 

Ham and Broccoli Garden Quiche
(from Farm Eats, City Streets)

1 ½ cups diced cooked ham
2 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
½ cup chopped green onions
½ cup chopped green pepper
1 ¾ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups milk
¾ cup Bisquick baking mix
3 eggs
¼ tsp black pepper

 
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a deep dish pie plate.

If using frozen, steam the broccoli in the microwave for about 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Otherwise, mix the ham, broccoli, onions, green pepper and cheese. Pour the mixture in the pie plate.


Beat the remaining ingredients (milk, Bisquick, eggs and black pepper) until it’s fairly smooth. Pour over the broccoli and ham mix in the pie plate.

Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown (about 35-40 minutes). Remove from oven and brush with butter. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment