Saturday, December 19, 2015

crustless wonder.



I was in the mood for some pie. I don't remember exactly what triggered the craving, but it was growing exponentially with each passing day. But just because I'm in the mood for pie doesn't mean I wanted to make it myself. Lazy much? Lol.

I think it's all the steps that goes into making a pie: Making the crust, doing the filling, then putting it all together. That's waaay too many steps to go through especially when I want it RIGHT NOW. So when I came across this Amish pie recipe, I was stoked! The pie looked interesting and easy enough to do. I had all the ingredients on hand, so what more could I ask for?

After blitzing this in the blender and pouring it in the pie dish, I was as curious to how this was going to turn out. Waiting patiently for 45 minutes and letting it cool until it was warm-ish, I cut into the pie and tasted it.

I had mixed feelings about the pie.

On one hand, I liked that it had an egg-custard-like texture to it but I was expecting something more like a velvety smooth Bavarian custard. And I don't know if I didn't blend it enough, but my pie turned out wet, like it wasn't blended properly or something and the eggs, milk, and butter didn't incorporate together fully. So, more blending maybe? The flavor was nice, although I wished it was a tad more sweeter.

So, would I make this again? Maybe. I'd probably tweak it a little so that I'd get a more smoother, velvety filling like that in the picture. And amp up the sugar a little. And add more coconut flakes. Hmmm . . . Looks like I might try another recipe for this pie. Damn, it had so many goo reviews too. :/

---- o o o o ----
 

Amish Crustless Coconut Custard Pie
(from Cookin' at Home)

2 cups milk, may use lower fat
4 large eggs
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup granulated sugar
1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 
Place all ingredients into a blender and mix well until smooth. Pour into a 9" deep dish pie pan-- during the baking process, the flour drops to form the crust and the remaining ingredients will form the filling.

Bake at 350F degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment