Sunday, January 4, 2015

works every time...



Happy New Year!

For the first post of the year, I think I'll start off with my favorite scone/biscuit recipe. I think everybody goes through a period where they try different things, hoping that whatever new thing that they find will be *the* one (enter resolutions, recipes, style, what-have-yous here). Sometimes it works, but sometimes what you know works best.

Take this recipe, for example. Before I ever found this recipe, I've tried my hand at making scones or biscuits before and sometimes failing miserably. Apparently, cutting butter into dough is not something that I can do easily. So when I found out about "cream scones", I was a little dubious. No butter? What's *that* going to taste like??

I really shouldn't of worried. While they're not as flaky as traditional scones or biscuits, I find that I actually prefer the lighter and fluffier product that this recipe produces. Don't get me wrong, I still love trying different recipes, but this one seems to be "it" for me...my go-to for this kind of bread. Do I really need the butter, anyway? ;P

And what's more, I can easily adapt the recipe to make it savory or sweet. I also found that I could use any dairy (or non-dairy) product that I want and get consistent results! Wow! It's quick, and easy, *and* it freezes really well. What more could I ask for? :D

For this particular version, I decided to make some scones. It's got rum-soaked craisins, sweet flaked coconut, walnuts, and an awesome sugar wash that bakes up delightfully nice and crunchy on top. And yes, some of the scones do have an extra topping of sugar...more crunch! :D For the dairy, I decided to use sour cream as my base since that was all I had in the fridge. This version also has the full amount of sugar called for as well as a little bit of the rum from the soaking cranberries. Holy cow! I think these may be the best scones I've ever made in my life, lol! Maybe next time, I'll add some white chocolate chips and see how that turns out. :)

 
Cream Scones or Biscuits
(adapted from Rita's Recipes)

Scones/Biscuits:
2 cups flour
2 tbsp baking powder
sugar
salt
1-1/4 cup chilled dairy of choice*
1/2 cup add-ins (optional)

Optional cream wash for scones:
1 tbsp chilled dairy of choice*
1 tbsp or so water
1 tbsp powdered sugar

*These have worked well for me so far:
  - heavy cream
  - half and half
  - coconut milk
  - buttermilk
  - sour cream

For scones:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix flour, baking powder, 1/8 to 1/4 cups sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl. Stir in the dairy of choice and any additional add-ins just until a dough forms.

With a floured hand, knead the dough in the bowl for 6-8 times. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and pat out into 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick circle or rectangle. Score and cut, or cut into circles using a biscuit cutter.

Place dough on a foil-lined baking sheet. If using cream wash, combine dairy, water, and powdered sugar together in a small bowl then brush the tops with the wash. Alternately, melted butter and a sprinkle of sugar may be used instead.

Bake about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

For biscuits
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix flour, baking powder, 1 tbsp sugar, and I tsp salt in a large bowl. Stir in the dairy of choice and any additional add-ins just until a dough forms.

With a floured hand, knead the dough in the bowl for 6-8 times. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and pat out into 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick circle or rectangle. Score and cut, or cut into circles using a biscuit cutter.

Place dough on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

To freeze:
After cutting the dough, lay cut biscuits on a pan and freeze for a couple of hours. Afterwards, store in freezer safe container or bag for up to 6 months. To serve, bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment