Sunday, January 4, 2015

stuffed chickies.



Whenever I cook for my husband, I find that I always stress about what to make for dinner. I'm not quite sure why exactly...probably the fear that he'll take one bite and then ask for a sandwich...which *has* happened, by the way. Can we say traumatized, lol? ^_^;

So whenever I do cook something that he likes (which is most of the time, really), I try to remember what I made for him. Especially if it's chicken...he's not usually a chicken eater since his mom preferred her chicken *cooked* (ie, dry for fear of pink poultry). According to him, he never knew that chicken could taste so good until I started cooking it for him. Lol, what a flatterer...and if that isn't pressure, I don't know what is! Urgh....

Anyway, back to the recipe... When I first made this, he literally stuffed it in his face in the space of two minutes. After that, he asked for seconds. :D Woot, woot! Success! I was so happy since this was really a "What the *fuck* do i make for dinner?!" kind of meals that I made up along the way. Afterwards, I made sure to write down how I put everything together for future reference. Now I can make this with my eyes closed and he still thinks it's pretty tasty. Thank God! For someone that says they're not picky, he sure does act like it. X_X;

Stuffed Chicken Thighs
(makes 2 to 3 servings)

2 to 3 pcs skinless, boneless chicken thighs
olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 small onion, chopped
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/5 bell pepper, chopped
3 to 4oz gourmet flavored, spicy Italian, or sweet Italian sausage
3 to 4 pcs vegetable crackers, finely crumbled*
1/4 cup breadcrumbs, plain*
2 to 3 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pound chicken flat to 1/4 inch thickness. Coat the chicken lightly with olive oil then season with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, add the crackers, bread crumbs, and feta and mix until combined. Set aside. In a medium skillet, cook onion and minced garlic with a little bit of olive oil until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and continue cooking until the peppers are slightly softened. Add the sausage and cook until the sausage is done. Remove from heat and add to the bread crumb mixture. If needed, use a little olive oil to moisten and help the stuffing come together.

To assemble, transfer chicken to a lightly greased, foil-lined baking tray. Take a handful of the stuffing and tightly pack into the palm of your hand.  Place packed mixture on top of the seasoned chicken and fold the meat over, tucking securely under to make sure stuffing is mostly covered (or use twine to secure if preferred). Repeat for the remaining thighs.

Place tray of chicken in the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is done and juices run clear. Let stand about five to ten minutes before serving.

*You can replace these with about 1/3 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs instead of the cracker/bread crumb combo. Or use plain breadcrumbs with your added choice of herbs and spices. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment