Thursday, October 22, 2015

well...ain't t that a 'sumbitch!



"You should try making some 'Sumbitches..."

I remember agreeing with my husband when we watched the train episode of How I met Your Mother. Since then, I've made a mental note in the back of my brain to try and re-create those little suckers.

Fast forward to now. We've recently been deployed back to the states and living in Georgia means getting ingredients much more easier and much more cheaper. Huzzah! But first things first...I wanted to find a good base for my cookies. In came google search...

I knew that I wanted my base to be a peanut butter cookie. But I also wanted them to be soft and chewy so that it would go along the texture of the caramel. Also, I wanted them to stay soft and chewy for days. Enter this recipe! I loved that it promised all those things that I was looking for AND the fact that I didn't need to flatten them out! These were perfect for just a scoop and drop method that I was looking for!

The next thing to consider was the chocolate and caramel. I rewatched the episode online and, wanting to be close as possible, knew that I didn't want to go the Rolos route. While that may have been easier, I wanted the chocolate and caramel to be evenly distributed and not centralized. So, I opted for tossing in some caramel bits and some semi-sweet chips.

The result?

Oh, my god, the chewiest, nut butteriest, chocolate and caramel cookies in the world! Adapting the recipe, I love that these have two types of nut butters in them: crunchy peanut butter and almond butter. The almond butter is from Costco and was an impulse add-in. Since the only ingredients are roasted almonds, I think it really toned down the sweetness of these cookies (not to mention add to the amazing chew). The caramels were perfectly spread out and every mouthful had that caramelly goodness along with a bite of chocolate. PERFECT!

And guess what? I must have done something right, because I've already made these twice and each time they've disappeared in just a few days. And there's only two of us here, lol. These, by far, are the hubby's newest favorite cookies! Huzzah!

---- o o o o ----
 

'Sumbitches
(adapted from Alaska From Scratch)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 cup almond butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
1 cup caramel bits

 
Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, beat the butter, peanut butter, and almond butter together until smooth and fluffy. Add the sugars until combined, then incorporate the egg, followed by the milk and vanilla. Add in the flour mixture, chocolate chips, and caramel bits until thoroughly combined.

Using a medium cookie scoop or one rounded tablespoon, place dough on baking sheet allowing room for cookies to spread out while baking.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, being careful not to overbake. The cookies will look slightly underdone in the center. Let stand 5 minutes to set on baking sheet before transferring on a sheet of wax paper to cool completely.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment